Heart disease is the leading cause of death of Americans, in the most common forms of coronary artery disease and heart attack. However, many people don’t even realize that heart disease comes in all shapes and sizes. There are over 50 different types of heart disease that affect your blood circulation, your heart beat, and inflammation of your heart. Read on to see a comprehensive list of heart diseases.
List of Heart Diseases
Often, when people refer to “heart disease,” they mean “coronary artery disease,” the most common kind of heart disease that affects the arteries of the heart. However, there are actually over 50 different types of heart disease that affect all parts of the heart, from the valves to the lining to the muscle itself.
Here are names and brief descriptions of the most important heart diseases to be aware of:
- Arrhythmia—irregular and abnormal heart beat
- Cardiomyopathy—a condition that affects the heart’s ability to pump blood
- Congential heart defect—a defect in the heart that occurs before birth
- Coronary artery disease—caused by a fat build-up in your artieries, restricting blood flow
- Heart attack—an inability to circular blood around the body, resulting from a blood clot, clogged arteries, or a coronary spasm
- Heart failure—difficulty pumping blood caused by damage from previous heart disease, high blood pressure, or diabetes
- Heart valve disease—a general disease in which the heart valves do not work correctly
- Myocarditis—An inflammation of the heart muscle
- Pericarditis—an inflammation of the tissue surrounding your heart; can become a chronic condition
Stay Heart Healthy
Now that you know what you’re up against, it’s important to know how to take care of yourself so that you don’t have to face any of these heart diseases on this list. Some risk factors you can’t change, such as genetics, sex, and age, but there are many other factors you do have control over.
To stay healthy, be sure to exercise around four times a week for 30 minutes a day. Eat a good diet rich in whole grains, fruit, and vegetables. And, even if you feel healthy, be sure to get regular health screenings.
A heart diseases list is a good source of information and a good starting point to getting healthy. Be sure to check out more Healthy Heart Experts articles to learn more about the different types of heart disease and how to prevent heart disease.