Snacking has a bad reputation. When most think of snacking, they consider it a bad thing that is going to hinder weight loss. The fact is that healthy snacks for adults can actually help in your weight loss efforts. It is less about how much you snack and more about what foods you choose to snack on.
Examples of Healthy Snacks for Adults
There are many options when it comes to choosing healthy snacks for adults. Below are just a few examples.
- Fresh fruit and vegetables
- Popcorn (skip the salt and butter)
- Yogurt (Greek style is best)
- Cheese and crackers
- Peanut butter on celery sticks
- Cottage cheese
- High fiber cereal with skim milk
There are healthy snacks to appeal to every taste. Look for snacks that are low in fat, high in protein and fiber. The protein will give you an energy burst, which many people need come mid-afternoon.
Homemade Healthy Snacks for Adults
While there are many prepackaged snacks that are fine, you will have more control over what goes into your snacks if you prepare it yourself. Items such as trail mix, granola and popcorn may contain sugar, salt and preservatives that you would not need if you prepared them yourself.
A great example of homemade healthy snacks for adults is granola. Start with two cups of oats. Add a variety of dried fruits, nuts and coconut. Toss the ingredients together. Next, drizzle some honey and a healthy oil, such as canola oil, over the mixture. Fold together and then spread evenly onto a sheet pan. Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the granola begins to brown. Store the granola in an airtight container.
Healthy Foods for Adults at Restaurants
Grabbing a healthy snack at a restaurant can be quite challenging. There are, however, options that will not cause you to blow your healthy eating efforts.
- Side salad, ask for the dressing on the side
- Baked potato with no toppings
- Half of a turkey sandwich served on whole grain bread. Ask for mustard instead of mayo and skip the cheese for an extra calorie and fat savings.
If you know that you will be visiting a certain restaurant, see if the menu is available online. This will allow you to choose your snack ahead of time and help you to stick to your plan.
Healthy Snacks on the Go
Many people spend a LOT of time in their cars. Always being on the go can make it more difficult to choose healthy snacks, but with some planning you can stick to a healthy eating plan.
Keep your car stocked with healthy granola bars, bottles of water or small bags of nuts. This way, even if you forget to grab a snack, you’ll have healthy options on hand.
If you need a quick something as you’re running out the door, choose fresh fruit, precut veggies, a few crackers smeared with peanut butter or a handful of nuts.
Healthy Snacks for Work
The workplace can be another obstacle to healthy eating. With cake, donuts, bagels and pizza being offered on a seemingly constant basis, sticking to your healthy eating plans can be a challenge.
- Attend office celebrations, but come full. Before heading to the break room where birthday cake is being served, eat a healthy snack first.
- Bring your own supply of snacks to meetings so that you’ll be less tempted to nibble on what is being offered.
- Keep a supply of healthy snacks, such as packaged oatmeal, granola bars, nuts and even some small healthy frozen dinners on hand. Even if your vending machine has healthy options, it is too easy to press the buttons for chips instead of nuts. Just keep your own snacks on hand to minimize temptation.
There are many options for healthy snacks for adults that allow you to feel satisfied without eating unhealthy foods. Remember, every little choice has consequences, so choose your snacks wisely!